The Olowu of Kuta, Oba Adekunle Oyelude, has denied any disagreement with the Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi, over the appointment of minor chiefs.
According to The PUNCH, Oyelude stated that he never requested for such permission from the state government and that claims that he was denied the privilege were false.
He said, “There was nothing like that. Consenting authority in the Iwo Traditional Council is vested in Oluwo, but anybody can have prescribed authority, which is the authority to appoint lesser chiefs in your domain.”
The monarch responded on Friday in response to allegations that the Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, had halted the request for prescribed power, which would have allowed him to choose heads for various villages, which had previously been given to him and Ileogbo’s traditional ruler, Oba Abeeb Adetoyese.
The history of the communities named under Ile Ogbo and Kuta was not properly investigated before the letters were sent, according to a source in the governor’s office who asked to remain anonymous.
According to the source, subsequent investigation showed that the majority of the settlements belonged to Iwo land.
“Consenting authorities have two stages. The first stage is a letter issued to the affected Obas. But the letter does not have a legal effect until it is gazetted. The gazetting, which is the second stage, is what the governor has now stopped because most of the villages listed fall under Iwo land; they are not villages that belong to Ile Ogbo or Kuta,” the source added.
The source further explained that the governor had “warned the chieftaincy ministry that no one should issue any letter or gazette the document.”
“The ministries involved were supposed to have met with the Oluwo because he is the existing consenting authority for all Iwo land, so if you want to do anything under him, you have to contact him,” the source said