Ekiti Bishop demands prosecution of Owo massacre perpetrators
The Catholic Bishop of Ekiti Diocese, Most Rev. Felix Ajakaiye, has demanded the prosecution of those who were arrested in connection with the massacre of over 50 worshippers on June 5, 2022 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo in Ondo State.
The cleric made this demand in a statement on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti, why lamenting that the forner President Buahri-led administration could not bring the the perpetrators to book, calling on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to leave no stone unturned to ensure the attackers are made to face the wrath of law.
Bishop Ajakaiye who regretted that nothing has been done since the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor announce that arrest had been made said, “There was outright condemnation within and outside Nigeria against the evil and unprovoked attack. Typically of the then President Muhammadu Buhari government, it commiserated with the Church, Ondo State and the people concerned, and it promised to arrest the culprits.
“Surprisingly, a few months after the attack, addressing a World Press, General Lucky Irabor, the Chief of Defence Staff, informed the world that arrests had been made regarding the Sunday attack at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo.
“Unfortunately, to date, 5 June 2023, exactly one year after, we have not heard anything again from the Army General. Now, a question for the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor.
“Please, Sir, when shall we be lucky to know what has become of the people you told Nigerians and the whole world were arrested due to their involvement in the massacre of over 41 people and scores of people seriously injured during the Church attack of the worshippers by such people in Owo on 5 June, 2022?
“Until an answer is given, we shall keep asking the question. Remember, the cases of the Chibok girls, Leah Sharibu and others are still there.”