The Nigerian National Hajj Commission has cautioned pilgrims not to eat at unlicensed food vendors.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, the warning was issued by the commission’s Coordinator in Madina, Alhaji Ibrahim Mahmud.
Nigerian pilgrims are now undertaking Islamic religious ceremonies in preparation for the 2023 Hajj in Saudi Arabia.
Mahmud said the committee has hired certified caterers to ensure the safety of the pilgrims’ meals.
He said that in order to provide authentic Nigerian and Saudi cuisine to the pilgrims, NAHCON had arranged with both Saudi and Nigerian caterers.
“Since the arrival of the NAHCON’s Advance Team on May 26, we undertook some activities which include a visit to all the relevant offices here in Madina.
“We visited the airport, the logistics company, Adilah, offices of accommodation providers, and kitchens of the caterers that will provide food for the Nigerian pilgrims.
“The purpose of embarking on the visits was to inform them that the Nigerian delegation is on the ground and ready to commence the exercise with a view to ensure smooth hajj operation.”
The coordinator claimed he had a conference with the heads of different committees to strategize the best way to carry out hajj operations.
“Since May 26, we started receiving pilgrims from Nasarawa State who were warmly welcomed by the Nigerian Ambassador to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Yahaya Lawal.
“He was accompanied by the Consul General, Bello Kazaure and other mission staff from both the Nigerian Embassy and Consulate in Riyadh.
“Thereafter, the pilgrims were taken to their respective accommodations by the committee in charge of accommodations. So also the feeding committee ensures that food is provided for them.
“So far from May 26 to date we have received no fewer than 10,484 Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia and the transportation of pilgrims is ongoing. All the pilgrims were well accommodated and they are going about their religious activities.”