Kogi monarch abducted on Easter Monday dies in kidnapper’s custody

Kogi monarch abducted on Easter Monday dies in kidnapper’s custody

Abducted monarch on Easter Monday in Aghara community of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area, Kogi State, Chief, David Obadofin has reportedly died in the custody of his captives.

The traditional ruler who died last Thursday about 12 days after he was abducted was said to have passed on when he could no longer withstand the torture of his abductors.

Chief Obadofin co-abductee, Temidayo Elewa was, however, released. Elewa was picked up in Obajana, the cement town in Lokoja Local Governmenf Area on Saturday morning by family members, who took her straight to an undisclosed hospital for medical attention.

A source involved in the negotiation for their release, who made this disclosure explained that when the abductors noticed that the monarch was gradually losing strength, they reduced the ransomed from N60 million to N2 million to release the two victims and started mounting pressure for the payment.

“Meanwhile, they blindfolded Temidayo and separated her to a different location. Unfortunately, the monarch died before ransome could be delivered.”

The source stated further that when the kidnappers got wind of the advance search group, consisted of hunters, vigilantes and some Fulani volunteers were closing on them, the gunmen reeased Temidayo, “She roamed the jungle alone from that Thursday to Friday. After many hours she met a sawing machine operator, who eventually led her to freedom.”

“The lady (Temidayo) has been taken to the hospital. She was picked up in a village behind Obajana. As for Baba, we know he is dead but we are still combing the jungle for his remains.

Obadofin, a major Cashew farmer and Temidayo were abducted on Easter Monday from his farm residence in Aghara at about 11pm. The gunmen also shot dead one madam Toyin Onare, a widow, who was in the farm as a labourer.

Toyin was consequently rushed to the hospital in Kabba, headquarter of the LGA, about 35 minutes drive away. Unfortunately, she was confirmed dead on arrival.

Residents expressed worries over the late monarch’s chances of survival since his abduction due to his health issue.

It was learnt that he was on medication for age related diseases apart from the trauma and rough treatment he received from the gunmen.